Saturday, November 19, 2011

Baa Baa Baby Newborn

So, I know I said that I was done testing the newborn patterns, but then this new free pattern was released by Baa Baa Baby, and I just had to sew one up!  I may continue to periodically sew up additional patterns that I get my hands on J

About the pattern:
This is a free pattern for a front snapping diaper, with an umbilical cord snap.  Although the pattern is not marked for hook & loop, I’m sure that would also work great.  This pattern only has a single row of snaps along the tummy, which makes for quick & easy diaper changes, and also doesn’t add a lot of bulk on the tiny newborn tummy.  There are no instructions included with this pattern.

My test diaper:
I used this pattern to make a fitted diaper with snap closure.  I really liked that there were only 8 snaps on the tummy because I don’t really like setting snaps, so it was a lot easier to make!  This diaper is incredibly cute, here are some pictures:

Here it is with the umbilical scoop snapped down:

Here it is without the front snapped down (please excuse the crooked cord snap...that is why it is important to follow the pattern markings rather than just eye-balling it!)


Overall opinion:
This is an awesome basic newborn pattern.  I really like the size of it and it was so quick and easy to sew up, and it is just so cute.  If you are sewing up diapers as a gift then this would be a fantastic choice because it is really cute, and it would be really easy for someone new to cloth diapers to understand how to use.  Also, I really love that it is a material saver...it doesn’t use a lot of snaps and it uses very little fabric.  The back wings aren’t very long, so you could get a lot of diaper cuts out of a single yard of fabric.  This makes for very economical diapering!

Fit update:
Before umbilical cord falls off:
My son wore this diaper when he was at his lowest weight; around 8 pounds.  It fit well except that the legs were just a touch loose.  This wasn't a problem with my son, but might needed to be a little snugger for smaller babies.

Action shots:




4 weeks old - 11 pounds:
This diaper is a great fit on the medium setting.  The legs fit better now that he has chunked up a bit!
 

2 months old - 14lbs,10oz:
This diaper fits nicely on almost the largest setting, it is a great fit on the thighs now.
 



Get the pattern:

Thank you very much to the mama who provided this free pattern!

Please feel free to comment about your experience with the Baa Baa Baby newborn pattern or with any questions about my review!

7 comments:

  1. I am thinking of making some newborn fitteds to use at the hospital. Which pattern do you like best? Do you have like a tutorial for dummies? lol I do have a sewing machine and can follow basic instructions but may need to get my grandmother to help me. I would love any and all help. If you want to email me I'd love that: lucas777tab@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My baby was just born 5 days ago, so I actually will be updating soon with fit info about the different patterns! I don't have any tutorials...but I learned how to sew diapers from the Cloth Diaper Sewing 101 group on Babycenter, and there are links to lots of tutorials and videos on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made AIOs using this pattern, and I experienced the exact same 'problem' with the legs being too loose in the beginning. The legs fit great now, starting at around 10 lbs or so (he is 12 lbs now at 2 months old). I loved the pattern though, definitely economical with the pattern lay-out and the ease of sewing it. I also didn't put on the 2nd wingsnap as I knew I'd want to still be able to use it on a larger setting without the snap digging into his hip (which was a good decision, since the second snaps didn't do anything for fit anyways--I had made one with the 2nd snap).

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,
    and I am completely satisfied with your website.
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
    turn you are sharing with each one!….

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is old, but I am wondering if you experienced any wickung with the umbilical snap snapped down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really speak to that because I sewed mine as fitted diapers and used a separate waterproof cover. If I was sewing this as a waterproof diaper, I would probably use a non-wicking material, like fleece or PUL along the top of the inside of the belly in order to prevent wicking.

      Delete
  6. Oh just went looking for the pattern and it is gone link does not seem to be working anyone else know of where it is!

    ReplyDelete