Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Baa Baa Baby Fleece - Newborn

About the pattern:
This is a free pattern available in sizes NB, S, M and L.  It is intended to be used to make a single layer fleece cover; but the pattern designer notes that it can also be used for fitteds or pockets.  It is a side snapping pattern with both front and back elastic.  This pattern has a photo tutorial that shows you how to make a fleece cover with it; however it does not come with any instructions for making a fitted diaper or any other type of diaper.

My test diapers:
I used this pattern to make a fitted diaper.  I think that the front elastic will allow for a more tailored fit and the double wing snaps allow you to adjust the waist and thigh separately.  This diaper has a lot of bum coverage, so I think that would be a great feature if you used this pattern to make a cover (as it is intended to be used); but I also like having a lot of bum coverage in the fitteds since I use them under wool or fleece longies/soakers.  If you plan to use this under a wrap-style cover, I am sure that would be fine as long as your cover pattern also had good bum coverage.  (Or just use this same pattern as a cover – since you turn & topstitch the fitted diaper, that will make it slightly smaller than a FOE-bound single layer cover...so it would be the perfect pairing!)

Here is a picture of the diaper snapped on the smallest setting – you can see that it is SO cute J


Here is the diaper laid out flat, as well as an up-close picture of the wings.  I left the wing ends open so that I could reach in and apply hidden snaps (I couldn’t apply them ahead of time because the wings appeared to be too small to allow me to stitch around the snaps).  However, I also had trouble trying to turn in the edges of the wings since they were close to the snaps, so I just used my machine’s overlock stitch to close up the wing ends.  It may not be pretty, but it works for me!



Here is the diaper on the largest setting.  There is not a big difference between this setting and the smallest setting, because the wing snaps are set pretty close together.


Fleece cover:
This pattern is intended to be used to make single layer fleece covers, so I made a cover the way the pattern intends.  I love this cover and will certainly make more of them (in all sizes!)  Here are some pictures:



Overall opinion:
I really like this pattern; I think it would be great to use for single layer covers, but it also works well for fitted diapers.  With all of the elastic in this diaper, combined with the use of stretchy materials,  I think this diaper would last for a couple of months rather than just a couple of weeks.  I think that this pattern would also work well for a pocket diaper.  Most newborn diapers seem like they would be too difficult to stuff, but this one seems like it is roomy enough to work as a pocket diaper.

Fit update:
Before umbilical cord falls off: 
At around 8.5 lbs, this diaper was a great fit on my son.  There was still plenty of growing room in it, but the double row of snaps allowed me to snug up the legs enough to get a great fit on the skinny newborn legs.  This diaper doesn't have an umbilical snap/scoop, so I folded down the front and that worked great with the side snap design, and the front stretch of elastic helped hold it in place so it didn't wiggle up and irritate the cord stump.

Update at 4 weeks - 11 pounds:
I love this diaper. it is a great fit on a medium setting.  Action shots:
 

Update at 2 months old - 14lbs,10oz:
This diaper fits nicely on the loosest leg setting and medium waist setting.  This is one of my favorites; it has good coverage without being bulky.  This will not fit too much longer because the lights will be outgrown soon.
 


Get the pattern:
The pattern can be found here:  http://ebgirl.fobby.net/bbb/pattern/

Thank you very much to the mama who provided this free pattern! 

Please feel free to comment about your experience with the BaaBaaBaby pattern or with any questions about my review!






23 comments:

  1. I know this is an old blog post but I'm hoping you can still answer me. I don't understand how the single layer cover works? Is the elastic exposed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the pattern is written, the elastic is exposed - which would work fine if you were using a comfortable elastic, like FOE. I was using regular braided elastic...so I didn't want that to be exposed. So, I used scraps of the fleece to make strips of fabric that I sewed on to make channels to thread the elastic through. The strips were 1 inch wide, and the long enough to reach from one elastic marker to the other. Then, I just sewed them on along the long sides, threaded the elastic through, and sewed the elastic down on the ends to tack it down. I hope that make sense! :)

      Delete
    2. Wow! Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I hate the idea of exposed elastic! I'm thinking I'll alter the patter to have the extra inch com off the sides before I cut it out. Thank you so much!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, that is another good technique...I had tried that too and it worked great! The covers seemed so soft and comfy!

      Delete
  2. Is the diaper you made a newborn or small size? I have been looking for a pattern to make that exact fitted diaper! I'm so excited:) thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the newborn size. This pattern makes a great fitted diaper - good choice :)

      Delete
    2. another question :) how do you turn and top stitch with elastic in the front and back. I typically left a turning hole in the front of he diaper, but if you are installing elastic there how would you turn it? where do you leave your hole. I am currently making my 2 year old a few side snapping all in ones (from a slightly different pattern) but as I am cutting and thinking the diaper over I am not sure how I am going to do this. thanks so much for your awesome blog with all the pictures. my babies are all about 8 to 8.5 lbs when they are born so your blog is perfect as I am collecting patterns and info to start sewing my newborn stash for #3. I love all the pictures I am very visual:)

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you have found the blog helpful!!

      When I sewed this diaper, I left the turning hole in the wing - I know a lot of people like doing that, but I found it really difficult to turn the diaper through the tiny edge of the wing, and then I couldn't close it up neatly around the snaps. So, instead, I prefer to leave my turning hole in the back where the back elastic goes. I sew down my other three pieces of elastic before I turn right side out. Then, I turn right side out and sew in the back elastic blind, and then close up the turning hole. I detailed these steps in my EZ Dipe post, so you can check that out for a little more explanation. It is tricky to sew the elastic in blind, but I find it easier than turning through the wing, and I think the end result looks nice.

      Delete
  3. Hello! Do you know of any way to obtain this pattern? The Baa Baa Baby website appears to no longer exist, and I'd very much like to use this pattern, but I can't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where to find them online anymore, but I had the pattern saved to my computer, so I e-mailed it to the address in your blogger profile :)

      Delete
    2. I can't find it either anymore. Can you send it to me?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you mind sending me the pattern too? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shea. Your e-mail isn't visible in your profile. If you could e-mail me at rookem123 at yahoo dot com, I will reply with the pattern!

      Delete
    2. I have a question about the patterns you emailed me. (And thank you so much for doing that!!) I noticed that the "newborn" size is actually bigger than the "small" size! When you made your newborn diapers, did you use the newborn size on her pattern which is really bigger than the small, or did you use the size small which is smaller than the newborn?

      Delete
    3. That is definitely confusing! I used the one labeled "newborn"...so, the bigger one. It worked out perfectly for my son; who was 8lbs8oz...I suppose the smaller one would probably be better for a smaller baby. Probably either one would work well though bc there is enough elastic to make a nice, snug fit everywhere.

      Delete
  6. I would love the pattern as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sent this pattern - and then realized how old this comment was! I'm not sure if you even still need it anymore. The email address that I got through blogger was the kenyan within one.

      Delete
  7. Could I get the pattern too please!!! Thepattersons10@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have this pattern as well. Thank you for the information!

    kristinec100@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. From looking at the comparison photos and reading the reviews this pattern looks like what I'm looking for. I did manage to find this link that seems to have the baa baa baby fleece patterns, so hopefully this will help out the next person to find this blog.

    http://ebgirl.fobby.net/bbb/pattern/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would appreciate it if you could send me the pattern as well - I have a new grandson and I would love to try my hand at this / his Mommy has just started using cloth nappies.
    Thanks
    Sheri
    evergreenlawns@telkomsa.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patterns can be found here: http://ebgirl.fobby.net/bbb/pattern/

      Delete